1. Don't come empty handed. Bring an appetizer or dessert if asked. It's also nice to bring a little hostess gift, like a candle or Christmas ornament.
2. Follow the times set on the invitation. If it's a 7-10 party, you better leave by 10. It's inconsiderate to overstay, especially if the hostess has children or if it is during the work week.
3. Help the hostess out. A simple hey Anna, can I do anything is so thoughtful and the simple could you bring out a tray of appetizers? could help her out a lot.
4. Be mindful of what you say. Especially with the election year, it's important not to step on anyone's toes!
5. Follow up with a thank you note!