Apply ED If...
- You are 100% sure you want to go there.
- Your thoughts about your second choice are not remotely as strong as your potential ED school.
- Financial Aid is not a concern.
- You aren't trying to be an athlete or any other kind of specific program.
- You are not a commitment phobe.
- The school may be a reach school, and your chances would be higher if you applied ED (only if it's your #1 though!)
Do Not Apply ED If...
- You are less than 100% sure.
- You have two schools you are in love with. (You can only ED to one!)
- Your choice of college depends on cost. (After an ED acceptance, you are bound to the school and must withdraw all other applications and acceptances without comparing financial aid offers.)
- The school is lacking any of your "nonnegotiable"aspects. (A family friend applied ED to a school, and she wanted to be a nurse. The school didn't have nursing, and she ended up transferring for her program. Don't do that.)
- You change your mind a lot.
- You are done with your college process SO EARLY.
- You will not have to worry about waiting for any more acceptances.
- You may be able to attend an earlier orientation or have housing priorities.
- Your acceptance chances are frequently much higher if you apply ED as opposed to EA or final deadline.
- You have the chance to be deferred at least one more time, so another possible chance for acceptance.
- You can accept some of the first wait list offers, if you are wait listed.
- You are limited.
- You cannot back out of the offer if you have second thoughts or it is too expensive.
- You probably will never know about scholarships and acceptances to other schools.
- The very fact that you have to withdraw other applications, even if you are curious about admission statuses of other schools.
- You may have a change of heart and be stuck.
- Don't quote me on this: some say that you have a smaller chance of getting financial aid if you apply ED. I have no idea on the validity of this statement, it probably varies from university to university.
We EDed because our schools were reaches. We had much higher chances of being admitted if we applied ED. We also aren't the type who change our minds. Our parents agreed that this was the best idea. It's so different from person to person! Make sure you really think about your choice, and that your parents are on board 110%.
Drop us an email at email@example.com if you're still struggling or have any other questions!
PS- Comment with any other wisdom!