Friday, March 16, 2012

Specu-what?

Have any of you ever been to a food truck before? In New York City, food trucks are a (relatively) new fad. Varying in types and styles, these food trucks are a really great alternative for people on a budget who don't want to sacrifice delicious food for their budgets. Living so close to NYC, I (A) had no idea what these food trucks really had to offer...until one day, my mind was blown.


After a long day of shopping with a friend, I stumbled upon a cute little waffle truck and decided to split a waffle with her. As the waffle guy was explaining what toppings we could put on our waffle, one of the options took a second for me to register. "NO WAY! Oh my gosh! Wait...did you just say...Biscoff spread," I asked as I blatantly interrupted him. As he started to talk, I cut him off again (whoops...). "Do you mean...SPECULOOS?!" He looked at me like I was crazy and gave me a quick "yes" answer to my question. I got my waffle and basked in the glory of the Speculoos spread that covered it.

For those of you who don't know, Speculoos is literally one of the best spreads I've ever tasted. Its a bit difficult to explain, but without confusing you all, it basically tastes like gingerbread/graham cracker in the form of a spread. The texture and consistency of the spread is comparable to Nutella. Last year, a friend brought it back from Belgium as a gift to me, and I've been ordering it from San Francisco ever since. Yep, because its that delicious.

In the US, its called "Biscoff spread" as opposed to the more sophisticated name, Speculoos, given by the Europeans. Note that the American version is being spread onto a sesame seed bagel, whereas the European version is being spread onto a nicely toasted piece of bread. Classic.


Moral of this story: you all need to try this stuff! I ended up finding it under the alternative name "Biscoff spread" at a local supermarket. Your best bet is to check for it more organic/classy supermarkets like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. If you happen to know of a waffle truck in your area, I recommend trying it there as well! Otherwise, you can always order it from San Fran like I did. I promise it would be well worth it. 

Let us know if you decide to try it or have tried it before! 

xoxo, 
A+C

2 comments:

  1. Speculoos is by far the best thing ever. Though the Biscoff spread is a little different from the traditional Speculoos sold at Wafels and Dinges. I brought back so much from Belgium this summer and now have to constantly stock up when I'm in NYC. xo, LP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so yummy! I may have to check for it at Whole Foods!

    ReplyDelete